The Puzzle Files Home Page The Puzzle Files
nothing more needs to be said

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Puzzle Files Forum Index -> Site Discussion -> Guess Count Query
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratherhazy

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Guess Count Query Reply with quote

I'm  not sure I completely understand the rules of this game.

I think I have expired my 15 attempts to answer B1 (it says so in 'Progress'). However, the little dots/circles, that I assume are supposed to mark off each incorrect answer, don't work. ie, I reached 15 incorrect answers without warning.

Is this a glitch?

Secondly, when I put in an answer to B1 (which I'm 100% sure I've figured out now (can i PM my answer to someone to see if it is correct?)) I keep getting directed to a page that says:

"OOPS!

It would appear that you have been trying to access part of a contest that is not available to you.

To prevent yourself from seeing this screen again, we recommend that
you do not tamper with the url, and only follow those links provided.

If you think you have seen this message when doing just that, please pm one of the admins.

Your IP address is: ............

This incident has been logged.

The Admin Team"

Is this what they mean by 'Locked Out' or have I made some kind of mistake???

I can't seem to find the answer to this error msg on the FAQ.

Sorry if i sound like a twit - I'm veryyyy new at this.

Thanks
SparkPlug

Site Admin

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "little dots" don't disappear. They turn solid. Furthermore the last three are red instead of brown to show show are approaching the limit.

The warning screen you quote appears as a result of trying to tamper with the URL to bypass being frozen out, and - as a word of caution - it automagically ban you if you abuse it !

It does record your IP (and everything else you are trying to do) and, for what it's worth, I can confirm that what you think is the right answer (ie: the one you tried to force several times) is incorrect.

I suggest you just wait till the time limit passes and the submit box reappears... then pay close attention to the "little dots" Wink
ratherhazy

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sorry, I meant that they turn solid. mine don't do that. they've just stayed unsolid (god is that even a word!).

after posting that message, i tried re-entering my answer again & this time the answer box said "Frozen Out".

so that answers one of my questions.

as for the URL thing, I haven't tampered with it. Can I tell you what answer I've been putting in which keeps taking me to the Oops page?

Its taken me to that page about 7 or 8 times now. I don't want to be banned! I dont know why its taking me to that page.

can you help?
SparkPlug

Site Admin

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratherhazy wrote:
as for the URL thing, I haven't tampered with it...  I dont know why its taking me to that page.

It's taking you to that page because you are tampering with the URL  Laughing

At present, if you follow the links to the puzzle (selecting "Labyrinth2" from the home page is the easiest way) you will see that beneath it, where the submit box used to be, is a message stating that you are frozen out, and the time at which you will be "unfrozen".

At the time of this post you still have about two hours remaining. Only then will your submit box reappear so that you can continue entering guesses.

Edit: I should add that you'll get the same warning when you try to bypass the puzzle you are locked out of, and access a later one.
ratherhazy

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrrghhhhhh... i dont understand.

can i PM you the answer I've been putting in??

You have made a lot of posts so i assume you know a lot about this game?
SparkPlug

Site Admin

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the site, wrote the code, and all the puzzles - so I know a little about it  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Puzzle Files Forum Index -> Site Discussion -> Guess Count Query All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: