The Puzzle Files Home Page The Puzzle Files
nothing more needs to be said

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Puzzle Files Forum Index -> Site Discussion -> Issues with Progress and Dead Ends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brattitude

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Issues with Progress and Dead Ends Reply with quote

When I first tried solving "Each Way Bets", I got an answer, which gave me a message to go back and submit a new answer. Which I did. Finallly, I progressed to the next puzzle, got stuck and left it to think about.

Now that I'm back, I am stonewalled with this old message to go back and re-input my answer to "Each Way Bets".

I checked my progress, and it refuses to log my actual answer... the correct one.

If you need me to PM my answer to prove I have it right, that's no problem. In the meantime, I am stuck at that monster message and cannot complete my Labrynth.

The harder I think, the dumber I feel.
Titanium22

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use the "next" link on "Each Way Bets" if you have already visited the next puzzle. Or you could click on the title of the next puzzle from your progress page.

T22
Brattitude

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only option is a button that says "return to puzzle"....... i can click it 100 times, and it will just reload itself.

but, i have now accessed the next puzzle through the progress list, as you suggested. thank you. Smile

The harder I think, the dumber I feel.
vetti

Site Multi-tasker

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you come to a dead end, you can't "return to puzzle" as such because you dont know which puzzle to return to!

A closed mouth gathers no foot.
goetzy89

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely wouldnt it be safe in just taking you to the puzzle before the dead end?
vetti

Site Multi-tasker

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky has posted this:

A few people have pointed out to me a "bug" whereby you find yourself in a situation where the "return to puzzle" link on a dead-end screen doesn't work.

Do not panic!

Basically, this happens when you leave the contest and come back to it later. As a result, it doesn't know which puzzle you want to return to (and it's not going to guess... that would be like helping ).

If you find yourself in this situation, simply view your progress and click on the puzzle you want to see.

As soon as you solve another puzzle, the one your are moved to will be marked as you current puzzle.

SparkPlug

Site Admin

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some changes have now been made which will - hopefully - minimise confusion...

Broken "dead end" links fixed.

Some people reported a problem where leaving the contest while stuck at a dead end meant that, when you returned, the "return to puzzle" link didn't work, or 'returned' to itself. Now, where this situation arises, that link should display as "Go to progress" and will, not surprisingly, take you to your progress page for you to select a puzzle to view.

Progress now records most recent answer

Originally, for questions which have more than one answer, only the first one was recorded. This has now been changed so that the most recent answer is recorded.

Current puzzle always updated

In some situations this did not always happen and following the "Labyrinth" link from the menu took you back to a puzzle you had already solved. Hopefully, this is now fixed.

Please feel free to pm me if you think anything isn't working as it should.
swp

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SparkPlug wrote:
Progress now records most recent answer

Originally, for questions which have more than one answer, only the first one was recorded. This has now been changed so that the most recent answer is recorded.

thanks for that. I guess it is too much to ask to show all correct answers?

Clue Crew - The Dark Lord
vetti

Site Multi-tasker

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will show your current answer - it is up to you to determine if the answer is correct or not Wink

mravoyed

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Where to go from dead end? Reply with quote

I read through site and I understood that there are two or more correct answers for some or all of the puzzles which lead to different new puzzles. Is that so?

How should I know which puzzle to return to, if I already thought I solved it correctly?  Confused
How could I know in which room crossroads or junctions of labyrinth are? Are there any clues around for that.
Btw this is first puzzle site/game I played (I mean these kind of puzzles)

I hope I don't have to recheck every room I've passed  Rather Unwell
ASA

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from dead end? Reply with quote

mravoyed wrote:
I read through site and I understood that there are two or more correct answers for some or all of the puzzles which lead to different new puzzles. Is that so?

How should I know which puzzle to return to, if I already thought I solved it correctly?  Confused
How could I know in which room crossroads or junctions of labyrinth are? Are there any clues around for that.
Btw this is first puzzle site/game I played (I mean these kind of puzzles)

I hope I don't have to recheck every room I've passed  Rather Unwell

After you solve a puzzle that leads to a dead end, the minotaur usually gives you a clue as to which one to go back to.

Alan - Never throw the letter Q in a privet bush
mravoyed

PostPosted: 03 May 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx!

Minotaur told me to try another route so that wasn't much of a clue but I've find out only one where answer could maybe be different and I passed it.
SparkPlug

Site Admin

PostPosted: 03 May 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mravoyed wrote:
Minotaur [only] told me to try another route so that wasn't much of a clue...

No he didn't Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Puzzle Files Forum Index -> Site Discussion -> Issues with Progress and Dead Ends All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: